By Rory W. (Used with permission)
Choosing a school with good teachers is a crucial element in your
martial arts training. Here are a few ways to determine the quality
1. Ask permission first and then watch the instructors demonstrate
techniques. Do they correct any incorrect techniques students
2. Determine the level of discipline used. Are they too lenient,
just right or too severe?
3. Assess the extent instructors encourage respect for partners
and opponents during drills and practice.
4. Identify how often instructors ask for student feedback. Are
they open to suggestions and innovative practices within a structured
5. Check with other students to share examples of good and bad
6. Ask the head instructor how the school's teachers are chosen.
What qualifications do they have? Are they promoted in an accredited
7. Assessing student progress. Have instructors provided clear
direction when asked? Have they encouraged short and long-term
goals for each class?
Good instructors model the same values they expect from you.
Classes and tests should be open for observation. Legitimate instructors
will not object to requests to observe from prospective students.
It is important to see how each of these activities are conducted
when considering an instructor.
Remember that no one is perfect and no one knows everything. There
will be many instructors that are still learning, so you need
to give them a chance.
The practice of martial arts can be potentially dangerous, so
use caution. It would be good to consult a physician before beginning
any exercise regimen.
The Chinese Kung-Fu Club of
Home What is Kung-Fu Kung-Fu Styles School History Grand Master
2300 Sycamore Road, Suite 88
Dekalb Illinois 60115-3715
Links Club PhotosClub Info and RulesSifu Arthur Berry Certified Instructors
Events and Clinics
First Impressions Best